According to a report, Kelis and Nas will be heading to court in June after the “Milkshake” singer pleaded not guilty to 20 counts of contempt and violating a custody agreement with the rapper.
Nas has also claimed the singer failed to pay the $8,000 in penalty fees she was assessed by the court.
Back in January, Nas filed court documents after Kelis moved their 9-year-old son Knight to Cartagena, Colombia, during December without Nas’ consent. Plus, the rapper said she violated their custody agreement 17 times since January 2018 and specifically did so over the 2018 holiday season.
In court documents, Nas said an agreement was made that Kelis would have Knight on Christmas, and he would have him for New Year’s Eve. She was then supposed to bring him to the rapper at that time but failed to do so.
“On Christmas, Petitioner informed me by text message that although her plan had been to bring the minor child back to me in Los Angeles for New Year’s, the plan had changed,” documents read. “She then stated that the new plan was to come back on January 4, 2019.”
But instead of bringing Knight back on that date, she brought him on Jan. 14, and Nas said he had no communication with his son for the entire time the boy was in South America. Kelis said her husband is Colombian and she plans to stay there permanently to run a farm with him.
The rapper and singer were married from 2005 to 2009, and it’s safe to say that most became aware of their problems in April of last year when Kelis gave a tell-all interview to Hollywood Unlocked.
During that sit-down, the “Kaleidoscope” singer said Nas was physically abusive and they both drank heavily.
The “Illmatic” creator responded to the allegations in an open letter in September and denied abusing Kelis. In fact, he said she was the one who physically attacked him when he came to pick up his son once.
Nas and Kelis are scheduled to appear in court on June 20, and it’s possible the singer could be slapped with fines or even jail time if she’s found guilty.